Java version 8 64-bit should be installed on the system, either as JDK or JRE, with JavaFX libraries.
Liberica JDK is known to work well for SimStadt:
Liberica JDK — а free, supported and 100% open-source binary distribution
- If you want to use SimStadt : you can download the Full JRE. (mirror)
- If you want to write Java code and use it in SimStadt : you can download the Full JDK. (mirror)
Installations for macOS or Linux are available here, for example:
- https://download.bell-sw.com/java/8u262+10/bellsoft-jre8u262+10-linux-amd64-full.deb for Linux
- https://download.bell-sw.com/java/8u262+10/bellsoft-jre8u262+10-macos-amd64-full.dmg for macOS
SimStadt should work fine with Oracle JDK 8. Oracle Java SE license has changed in 2019, though, and OpenJDK versions should be preferred.
Error: Could not find or load main class eu.simstadt.desktop.SimStadtApp
If SimStadt does not start and outputs
Error: Could not find or load main class eu.simstadt.desktop.SimStadtApp, it might mean that a library is missing. For example, the
openjdk-8-jre.deb Ubuntu package does not contain JavaFX libraries. Liberica JDK should be installed instead.
INSEL 8 : Software for simulation, monitoring, and visualization of energy systems
INSEL is used as the engine for multiple workflow steps, and should be installed before SimStadt is started.
For building simulation with INSEL, it might be required to replace
inselBS.dll (mirror) inside INSEL installation folder.
If you are interested in customizing Gnuplot plots in INSEL, you might want to replace
inselVSEIT.jar (mirror) inside INSEL installation folder, in
This file is not needed by SimStadt but can help when using INSEL as a stand-alone program.
INSEL on Linux
INSEL also runs on Linux. This deb package has been tested and used successfully on Ubuntu 14.04/16.04/18.04 & Linux Mint 18/19/20.
INSEL on macOS
Sorry, we do not have an installer for INSEL on macOS. Please contact the INSEL team directly.
SimStadt is in constant development.
Here's the most recent version.
This zip file can be extracted anywhere you want, and contains executables for Windows (
SimStadt.bat), Linux (
SimStadt.sh) and macOS (
SimStadt workflows need CityGML files as input, distributed in project folders inside a repository.
- Here is an example repository, with some predefined projects and CityGML files (e.g. for HfT Stuttgart campus, NYC or Rotterdam).
- You can extract this zip folder anywhere you want.
- The first time you start SimStadt, you can select a location pointing at this repository.
Gnuplot is a portable, multi-platform, command-line driven graphing utility
Gnuplot is used by some workflowsteps (e.g. Visualization) for visualization purposes.
FZKViewer is a software tool for the visualization of semantic data models from the fields of BIM (Building Information Modeling) and GIS (Geographic Information Systems). The focus here is on open standardized data formats.
Simplified Radiosity Algorithm
Simplified Radiosity Algorithm is required by IrradianceProcessor for shadow calculations.