Java version 8 64-bit should be installed on the system, either as JDK or JRE, with JavaFX libraries.
Liberica JDK is known to work well for SimStadt:
Liberica JDK — а free, supported and 100% open-source binary distribution
- If you want to use SimStadt : you can download the Full JRE. (mirror)
- If you want to write Java code and use it in SimStadt : you can download the Full JDK. (mirror)
Installations for macOS or Linux are available here, for example:
- https://download.bell-sw.com/java/8u345+1/bellsoft-jre8u345+1-linux-amd64-full.deb for Linux
- https://download.bell-sw.com/java/8u345+1/bellsoft-jre8u345+1-macos-amd64-full.dmg for macOS
SimStadt should work fine with Oracle JDK 8. Oracle Java SE license has changed in 2019, though, and OpenJDK versions should be preferred.
Error: Could not find or load main class eu.simstadt.desktop.SimStadtApp
If SimStadt does not start and outputs
Error: Could not find or load main class eu.simstadt.desktop.SimStadtApp, it might mean that a library is missing. For example, the
openjdk-8-jre.deb Ubuntu package does not contain JavaFX libraries. Liberica JDK should be installed instead.
INSEL 8 : Software for simulation, monitoring, and visualization of energy systems
INSEL is used as the engine for multiple workflow steps, and should be installed before SimStadt is started.
INSEL is now freeware, and can be downloaded:
- For Windows, Install Insel V220.127.116.11b x64.exe.
- For Ubuntu 18.04, insel_18.104.22.168b_x64_full_ubuntu_18_04.deb.
- For Ubuntu 20.04, insel_22.214.171.124b_x64_full_ubuntu_20_04.deb.
- For macOS (still buggy and experimental):
- Install Homebrew :
/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"
- Install gcc :
brew install gcc
- Install INSEL core : insel_126.96.36.199b_x64.pkg, with "Right-click > Open".
- The graphical interface of INSEL is not required for SimStadt. It can be installed with : INSEL-8.3.dmg.
- The GUI can be marked as being safe with :
sudo xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine /Applications/INSEL.app
- Install Homebrew :
The packages are not yet signed. The operating systems might complain that the installers are potentially dangerous.
SimStadt is in constant development.
Here's the most recent version.
This zip file can be extracted anywhere you want, and contains executables for Windows (
SimStadt.bat), Linux (
SimStadt.sh) and macOS (
SimStadt workflows need CityGML files as input, distributed in project folders inside a repository.
- Here is an example repository, with some predefined projects and CityGML files (e.g. for HfT Stuttgart campus, NYC or Rotterdam).
- You can extract this zip folder anywhere you want.
- The first time you start SimStadt, you can select a location pointing at this repository.
Gnuplot is a portable, multi-platform, command-line driven graphing utility
Gnuplot is used by some workflowsteps (e.g. Visualization) for visualization purposes.
FZKViewer is a software tool for the visualization of semantic data models from the fields of BIM (Building Information Modeling) and GIS (Geographic Information Systems). The focus here is on open standardized data formats.
Simplified Radiosity Algorithm
Simplified Radiosity Algorithm is required by IrradianceProcessor for shadow calculations.